WHAT IS RANGOLI ?
Rangoli is a colourful pattern made near the entrance to a house to welcome guests. Rangoli is row of colours. It is one of the most popular and traditional art forms in India. It is customary for Indian women to draw decorated feet of Laxmi – The Godess of weath, approaching her door bringing in good fortune for her devote family.Most of the Rangoli designs are flowers, leaves such as coconut, lotus, the animals such as cows, elephants and the birds like swans. There are geometrical pattern as well. We can also make rangoli by dot pattern or by free hand pattern.
HOW TO CREATE THE RANGOLI DESIGNS ?
- Before making rangoli clean the area with wet cloth.
- After cleaning the area choose a design that you want to draw. During the festival of diwali you can get stencils,moulds to make rangoli from market.
- Mark the center point of rangoli. Tie the chalk with thread then place the one end of thread in center point put the thumb their then draw the circle with chalk.
- With a piece of chalk, then draw the outline of design. In above figure design is made by free hand drawing. You can also see design from a book of rangoli designs, available at book shops and stationary shops normally.
- Decide about the color scheme .Now it's time to fill in the outline with rangoli powder. Pick up some powder with your thumb and index finger and fill in the design by rubbing the two fingers together and sprinkling the powder on the floor and start from center.Go on filling the entire pattern.
- Take care to sprinkle the powder carefully don't let powders of two different colours merge with each other.
Finally your rangoli is ready.
Stay tuned for more ideas !!!